anesthesia with only gass

Post dit besøg hos dyrlægen her. Forstod han/hun sig på tamrotter ?! Positive og negative indlæg.

Redaktør: Lylle My

Besvar
Laura van der Worp
DTF Forum Medlem

anesthesia with only gass

Indlæg af Laura van der Worp » tors feb 28, 2013 9:50 am

Hi,

Does anybody know a vet in aarhus or close to aarhus that only uses gass for an oparation?

I went to a vet last time to get a tumor removed. She did very well, but I am not happy that she used an injection first, and then gass. Rats recover way faster when you use only gass. Now I wonder if anybody knows a vet around aarhus (who has experience with rats) who only uses gass as anesthesia.

Thank you :lol:

LUX Rotter
Logge ud? Hvad er det?
Geografisk sted: Lillevorde, Aalborg
Kontakt:

Indlæg af LUX Rotter » tors feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Call Them and ask :-p
When I lived in Brabrand, I used the vet at Branrand Hovedgade for my guinea pigs. The only used gass :-)
It's been some years now so I don't know if they still do that.

My vet here in Aalborg only uses gass.
I think a lot of vets only use gass for the smaller animals now a days.
Sofie

Kun 4 rotter tilbage pt
Kastraten Corvus og pigerne Ducky, Annie & Elvira

Brugeravatar
Esme
Ikke til stede
Geografisk sted: København

Indlæg af Esme » tors feb 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Abild Dyreklinik in Brabrand still uses gas, as I've had several animals in surgery there. The vets at Abild has a very extended knowledge of exotics and small animals, and are the only ones i would use in Aarhus for rats. :)

LUX Rotter
Logge ud? Hvad er det?
Kontakt:

Indlæg af LUX Rotter » tors feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Hehe the one Esme is talking about is the same one as I'm talking about :p
Sofie

Kun 4 rotter tilbage pt

Laura van der Worp
DTF Forum Medlem

Indlæg af Laura van der Worp » tors feb 28, 2013 9:30 pm

That is funny, that is the vet I went to 2 weeks ago for surgery :P

But she gave an injection first, and then used gass.

I was very satisfied about the surgery, but it took a while before she started to act a little normal again. And i know that this doesn't has to take that long, when only used gass.

Maby I can try to discuss it with her next time I have to go there.
But the last time I went there for pain killers because I could see my rat was in allot of pain after the oparation, she felt kinda insulted I think. She is not really open for other oppinions. It is just that my vet where I lived before, does some things a little diffent. And I feel that that is the right way... So then I try to have it my way hehe :lol:

Brugeravatar
Esme
Ikke til stede
Geografisk sted: København

Indlæg af Esme » tors feb 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Well this Vet is THE most experienced vet in this country when it comes to rats, and other vets including the one i currently use in Copenhagen, consults her, so you can be pretty sure her suggestions is good! I must say I fail to see the importance to " have it my way" when it comes to my rats. But theres another place in Aarhus " aarhus dyrehospital" you can consult. Only they are not as good. ive talked to them on some occasions and they have specificly told me they have no where near half the skills as Abild. Just for your information ;)

This is also a vet who is very responsible and they would never just prescribe painkillers because someone comes and asks for them ;)
Having said that my rats have always recieved the proper medication, including painkillers, if needed.

Laura van der Worp
DTF Forum Medlem

Indlæg af Laura van der Worp » fre mar 01, 2013 1:10 pm

I don't doubt her experience, not at all. And I am sure she knows what is good, but that doesn't mean that an other choice is per definition wrong. It is maby different, but it is the way my vet usely did it, and he was also very experienced with rats. Its just nice to keep options open :)

Laura van der Worp
DTF Forum Medlem

Indlæg af Laura van der Worp » tors maj 23, 2013 9:28 pm

I was wondering, If this is THE most experienced vet, then why don't they give pain killers after an operation? Only an injection that, according to them, works for 48 hours? While it is a fact that an injection can last for a max of 24 hours on rats. Is this really the best vet in your opinion? You won't go without pain killers yourself after 24 hours, after an operation. I doubt that this is the best vet around here, or there just aren't any vets around here with experience with rats.

I went to abild dyreklinik a few weeks ago, because one of my rats had a abces. The vet told me that it was a tumor, and wanted to keep her there for operation. I had to convince her to stick a needle in it. When she did, the pus was running out of it. 'oh, yes, it is an abces.' She didn't want to cut the bump open, she said that it may heal, but that most of the times an abces has to get completely removed during an operation(???) Never heard of that one before.

The next day I went back and asked for a different vet. I had an older guy, that actually listened to what I wanted. He didn't really agreed with me, but he let me decide and he made an open wound at the place where de abces was (There was already pus in it again, ofcourse it doesn't work to only poke an abces, not weird that they usually have to operate them if they work like this...) I bought stuff at the pharmacy to clean the wound and I used honey cream to keep it open, so it could heal from the inside. After a week, the wound was nicely healed from the inside and completely closed, no operation needed.

You can't tell me that this vet is great with rats.

LUX Rotter
Logge ud? Hvad er det?
Kontakt:

Indlæg af LUX Rotter » tors maj 23, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't know of the female vet there as it has been 7 years since I used them.
I have no idea if they would be the most experienced vet for rats in Denmark :) I've never heard that before.
But since I'm not frm Århus, I cannot tell you a different vet since that was the one I used when I lived in Brabrand.
I only use Dyrehospitalet City Syd in Aalborg :)
Sofie

Kun 4 rotter tilbage pt

Laura van der Worp
DTF Forum Medlem

Indlæg af Laura van der Worp » tors maj 23, 2013 9:46 pm

The guy that helped me, around 50 years old I think..? not very tall, and with glasses was very kind and he sounded like he knew allot about rats. he could tell me information where I totally agreed with. He was very open for my opinion. Next time I have something with one of my rats, I will ask for him :)

Brugeravatar
Larm
Rotteforum afhængig
Geografisk sted: Bergen, Norge
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Larm » fre maj 24, 2013 11:00 am

then why don't they give pain killers after an operation?
I live in Norway and have had vets remove tumors on many of my rats and I ALWAYS give them pain killers after the operation.
I give them metacam the NeXT 2-3 days so they wont be in any pain.
When a female rat has had her uterus removed we have gotten a different pain killer (temgesic) in suringes in adition to metacam.
Lisbeth
Rottedrenge: Pjusken, Sirius, Rigel, Miro, Chino, Lillegutt, Ludvig, Dumbus og Sølvgutten
Rottepiger: Chara, Mumrik, SilkeGnafs, Venus, MiniRult, Batgirl, Bambi, Sharma, Lillefot, Lille Prikk, Aurora og Blaze

Besvar